Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Divinity Fudge Recipe

I don't know about you all - but everyone in my family and extended family grew up eating Divinity Fudge. So if someone makes it, it's literally gone in minutes! Every scrap is literally scraped up off the bowls, beaters, and out of the pan.  


I found this recipe in a book that I purchased in 2007 at Barnes and Noble. It's called, Candymaking by Ruth A. Kendrick and Pauline H. Atkinson. I have been using their recipe ever since!    

So if you are looking for a good Divinity Fudge recipe, look no more! 

Daphne's Divinity Fudge

2 egg whites, at room temp
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
A few grains of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Yields: 40 pieces or 64 (1 inch) squares

1. Line a 15" x 10" jellyroll pan with waxed paper or butter an 8" square pan; set aside.
2. Place egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer; set aside.
3. In a heavy 3 quart saucepan, combine corn syrup, water, sugar, and salt. Place over low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved. Remove spoon. Increase heat to medium-high and cook without stirring until mixture reaches a rolling boil.
4. Clip on a candy thermometer. Reduce heat to maintain full (but not rolling) boil. If sugar crystals are present, wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush. Cook syrup to 252F (125C) or hard-ball stage.
5. Just before syrup is ready, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
6. Remove syrup from heat and allow boiling to subside.
7. With mixer on high speed, gradually add hot syrup to egg whites; once you begin to pour, don't stop and do not scrape pan. Continue beating until mixture begins to lose it's gloss and holds its shape.
8. Add vanilla and nuts if desired.
9. Drop quickly by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.




Now here are my notes: 


1. I do not leave my egg whites at room temp. I leave them in the fridge until it's time to whip the eggs. 
2. I get the egg whites ready at 244 F. And then I start mixing the egg whites at 247 F.


I do this because I have found that if I whip those egg whites at 220 F or before 244 F, then they fall flat by the time that I pour the hot fudge mixture into the kitchen aid bowl. 










Thanks for visiting! 

No comments: